Need recipes for Super Bowl XLVII? Score big during football fever with these yummy recipes from Chef Anthony and the kitchen of Pritikin Longevity Center and Spa. These tasty snacks are healthy alternatives from the super high-calorie foods normally consumed during the Super Bowl.
Pritikin Broccomole Snack Recipe – A Low-Fat Alternative to Guacamole that still packs all the flavor!
· 1 ½ cups cooked broccoli stems, tough outer layers peeled off
· 1 ½ tablespoons fresh-squeezed lemon juice
· ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
· 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
· ½ tomato, diced
· 1 scallion, sliced
· 1 canned green chili, chopped
1. In a food processor, blend the broccoli stems with the lemon juice, cumin, and garlic powder until completely smooth.
2. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well by hand, but do not blend.
3. Chill before serving for best flavor.
Crispy Potato Skins
One potato skin at a restaurant is often 400 calories and more (and who stops at just one?) These scrumptious Pritikin Potato Skins are just 88 calories (for two!) This recipe serves 8 (2 potato skins per serving)
· 8 baked potatoes (already baked)
· ½ teaspoon garlic powder
· ½ teaspoon onion powder
· ½ teaspoon paprika
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Mix garlic, onion, and paprika together and set aside.
3. Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise. Scoop out potatoes almost down to the skin.
4. Place potato skins on a nonstick baking sheet. Sprinkle garlic mixture lightly over the skins.
5. Bake for 10 minutes, or until crisp. (Use scooped-out center of potato for mashed potatoes or thickening soups.)
Nutrition Information (per serving): 88 calories, less than 1g fat, 0g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 2g protein, 4g fiber, 9mg sodium.
Creamy Salsa Dip
½ cup plain nonfat yogurt
4 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
2 finely chopped green onions (white and light-green parts only)
½ teaspoon ground cumin
2/3 cup bottled salsa (nonchunky varieties)
Nutrition Information (per ½ cup serving): 20 calories, 1g saturated fat, 2mg cholesterol, 1g protein, 0g fiber, 71mg sodium.