Hosting a holiday dinner? Providing a hearty, traditional meal with trimmings “just like mom made” can sometimes be a challenge, especially when those recipes are filled with high-calorie ingredients. Try one or all three of these hearty and nutritious recipes from renowned health and wellness center Pritikin Longevity Center and Spa.
Pritikin Longevity Center + Spa is a 650-acre fully renovated private wellness spa and weight loss health program. Complete with exceptional fitness trainers, award winning chefs, like Chef Anthony Stewart, nutritionists including Director of Nutrition, Gayl Canfield and renowned spa treatments. The center boosts tons of experts from health to nutrition and fitness to spa and wellness. People from all over the world travel to Pritikin to get their health back on track and get their bodies back in shape.
Roasted Brussels Sprouts
· 2 LB Brussels sprouts (cleaned and halved)
· ¼ tsp. Baking soda
· 2 quarts water
· 2 Tbsp. Pritikin All purpose seasoning
· 2 Tbsp. Chopped garlic
* Make your own Pritikin All-Purpose Seasoning by blending granulated onion, granulated garlic, salt-free lemon pepper, and paprika.
1. Bring water to the boil; add baking soda and then Brussels sprouts. Turn off the flame and let sit for 2 minutes.
2. Drain and toss with garlic and Pritikin seasoning.
3. Place on a baking tray and bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes and serve
Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Serves: 4; Serving Size: ½ cup
• 4 Sweet Potatoes
• 1/4 cup Diced Pineapple
• 1/4 cup Fat Free Sour Cream
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• ¼ tsp ground Nutmeg
• ¼ tsp Ground cinnamon
1. Roast potato in a hot oven until soft, cool and peel
2. Mash with a wire whip
3. Mix all ingredients until well combined
Chocolate Ginger Mousse
A sinfully tasting (yet oh-so good for you) dessert. Regular chocolate mousse can tally up 8 grams of artery-clogging saturated fat (more saturated fat than many cheeseburgers!). There is zero saturated fat in Pritikin’s Chocolate Ginger Mousse. Wow!
- 4 ounces Hershey’s unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1½ to 2 Tablespoons Splenda
- ¼ cup hot water
- 12 ounces firm or extra firm silken tofu
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons fresh ginger juice (Slice off skin of ginger root, then grate the root and squeeze to extract juice.)
- Optional garnish: 4 fresh raspberries
1.In a small stainless steel bowl, combine cocoa powder, Splenda and hot water. Stir till mixture has a smooth, thick, fudge-like consistency, adding more water as you stir, if needed.
2.In a food processor, blend tofu till completely smooth, about 10 seconds. Then add fudge, vanilla extract, and ginger juice, and blend until smooth.
3.Place mixture in parfait glasses. If desired, garnish each glass with a raspberry, and serve cold.
Chef’s note: For variation, add mint leaves or mint extract, or sugar-free orange marmalade.