Ever since that fling with hunky Carlos the cabana attendant in Cabo, just looking at an avocado makes me turn green with guilt. Lord, the things he could do poolside were stunning—with guacamole I mean. Every day, the same decision: should I partake or not? So many confusing messages about indulging in a little green goodness. But take heart. The latest research shows that avocados have many beneficial properties, so we can stop beating ourselves up. Sure, they’re high in fat—but the good monounsaturated kind that’s been linked to a reduced risk of cancer and diabetes. Avocados have almost zero effect on blood sugar, plus lots of heart healthy fat, and contain Lutein, an antioxidant that helps your eyes stay healthy, and skin looking young. Maybe that’s Carlos’ secret. Come to think of it, a Baja getaway sounds awfully sinful right about now.
Get the Skinny Seven-Layer Dip
- 1 pound ground chicken or turkey
- 1 (16 ounce) can Amy’s refried beans or plain black beans
- ½ cup of Chicken Broth
- 3 cups shredded Cabot light cheddar cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) container of Fage non fat yogurt
- 1 cup guacamole (See recipe or buy)
- 1 cup Amy’s corn and black bean salsa
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- Shredded lettuce and chopped black olives are optional
Wholly Mole’ Guacamole:
- 3 avocados – peeled, pitted, and mashed
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1/2 Roma (plum) tomatoes, diced
- In a large skillet, sauté onions and add ground turkey or chicken. Brown ground meet. Add one cup of crushed tomato. Set aside to drain and cool to room temperature.
- Cook refried beans on stovetop. Stir in ½ cup of chicken broth. Let cool.
- Spread the beans into the bottom of a 9×13 Inch serving tray that is about 1 1/2 inches deep. Sprinkle 2 cups of shredded cheese on top of beans. Sprinkle ground chicken on top of cheese. Spread Greek yogurt very slowly on top of ground meat. Spread guacamole on top of sour cream. Pour salsa over guacamole and spread evenly. Sprinkle remaining shredded cheese. Sprinkle tomatoes, and green onions on top.
- You can serve this dish immediately, or refrigerate it over night and serve cold. I think it tastes better at room temperature.