Add a Little Spice to a Romantic Night…in the Kitchen
Spice up your love life.
You know the dating proverb about how the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach? Totally true, at least in my experience. Also, I wouldn’t be opposed to a man trying to win me over with a home-cooked meal. Whether you want to tantalize his taste buds or yours, a pinch of the right spices can make all the difference.
On your mark. Get set. Clove!
Get familiar with the essentials. And no, we’re not talking about just salt and pepper here. Stock your kitchen with these seven spices and you’ll always be ready for a dashing good time. Here are the basics from Leslie Robarge’s article “Spice Up Your Life” from InStyle.
- Chili Powder – turns up the heat of any dish with a pinch.
- Cinnamon – adds fragrance to savory entrees, not just dessert.
- Coriander – gives floral flavor to marinades and sauces.
- Cumin – usually a must when cooking Mexican.
- Fennel – its cleansing flavor is great when paired with fish.
- Nutmeg – tastes best freshly grated in vegetable dishes.
- Paprika – peps up poultry and tomato-based recipes.
Keep in mind that spices lose their utility in scent and flavor over time with a common shelf life of six months. If you cook regularly, the best way to preserve your spices is buying in bulk and decanting the spices into small containers. You can also buy the pre-bottled spices at the grocery store but these won’t be as fresh or flavorful as the bulk packages at specialty stores. Live in a city where spice stores are hard to find? The best online sources are Kalustyan’s.com, for their selection of international spices and The Spice House, for their freshly ground spices and recipes section.
So try one of doB’s weekly recipes and spice it up tonight in the kitchen. Who knows what will happen in the bedroom later…
Please visit my blog, jeweliette23.com, for more foodie tidbits and the latest beauty and fashion.